TurboTax is a tax-filing software that helps millions of taxpayers file their State and Federal taxes while eliminating the need for paperwork. However, being software, it is not devoid of technical glitches. One such error in TurboTax error 190, which occurs when a user tries to open the file. Whenever the user strikes the error, they won’t be able to file their taxes. However, if you are looking for the proper guide to troubleshooting the error, then go through this guide.
What Do You Mean By TurboTax Error 190?
Before moving toward troubleshooting, you must be aware of the TurboTax error code 190. Usually, this error occurs while opening a company file or filing the tax. Malicious viruses or malware infections are the main reasons behind this error, and multiple other factors can promote error 190 in TurboTax. When this TurboTax error takes place, it reflects an error message on your screen stating:
What Causes The TurboTax Error 190 To Take Place?
TurboTax error 190 can take place due to numerous reasons; we have listed some of them below:
- The error mainly occurs when a user tries to open the company file.
- A harmful virus or malware attack can also give rise to the TurboTax error code 190.
- Incorrect graphics drivers are one of the prominent reasons behind the error.
- The TurboTax program is running on a system that is not compatible with the program.
- After knowing the possible reasons behind the error, you can take the right course of action for the error resolution.
What Signs Does The Error 190 Give In TurboTax Program?
When the error occurs, you may experience the following symptoms on your screen:
- The error throws a warning message on your screen representing the error code 190 in TurboTax.
- The TurboTax window you are trying to process crashes.
- It may also arise due to the sluggish performance of the PC.
- You may not be able to introduce the product on your framework.
- Framework freezes now and then.
- Sometimes, the error can delete a portion of your TurboTax documents from your TurboTax framework and make new ones.
- When these signs show up, it is high time to determine the possible reasons behind TurboTax error 190 and fix them using the appropriate steps.
How do I fix Error 190 on TurboTax?
Once you know the possible causes that may trigger the TurboTax Error Code 190, you can fix it easily by following the solutions listed below.
Solution 1: Relaunch The TurboTax Software
When you face an error in the TurboTax application while opening it, try relaunching the program and check if it resolves the error.
- To start the procedure, click the Start a New Return button.
- Thereon, select the Taxes tab of the report to proceed further.
- Now save the reports by downloading them on your device.
- Thereafter, shut down your TurboTax program before you proceed further.
- Now, relaunch your TurboTax software.
- Finally, try to open the file to check if you can open it without getting an error.
- If the error persists while opening the company file, move ahead toward the next solution to fix the error.
Solution 2: Perform Disk Cleanup
Running a disk cleanup will free up space on your hard drive and help the error resolution. Follow the below-listed steps:
Note: Create a back of your data file to clean some space in your hard drive until the error is resolved.
- Clear the cache and start your computer.
- After restarting the computer, perform a Disk Cleanup, and it will clean the space on the computer used in opening the company file.
- To do so, make right-click on the disk in the first place.
- Now select Properties from the drop-down list.
- You will now see a different Window on your computer.
- Here, select the Disk Cleanup option. Wait for a few seconds until the procedure completes.
Solution 3: Close The Programs Interfering With the Process
Sometimes, the programs running in the background may interfere with an ongoing task. To fix this, you must terminate all such programs hindering an ongoing TurboTax task and promoting error 190. Below are the steps:
- Press CTRL + Alt + Del keys simultaneously on your screen to open the Task Manager.
- Now, from under the Processes tab, stop running projects individually one after the other by pressing the End Task or its alternatives.
Solution 4: Download The State Forms
TurboTax error 190 depicts that you are trying to open a .tax2018 file with one or more tax returns. Yet, your TurboTax version does not have the essential state module installed. If this is the case, you need to start a mock return to download and install the required state module. You may not be able to open any tax return in it until you have installed the state modules for the correct states included in the .tax2018 file.
Solution 5: Perform A Reinstall Procedure of The TurboTax
If none of the solutions listed-above help in the error resolution, reinstall TurboTax software by following the below-given steps:
- First thing, click on the Start New Return option you may locate on the system.
- Next, tap on the Taxes tab when your report prompts on your screen.
- Thereafter, you need to download the reports.
- After the completion of the download procedure, close the TurboTax application.
- Now, reopen the TurboTax application and open the file that gave an error earlier.
- If the error still exists, move down and try the next solution.
Solution 6: Make Sure That The Drivers Are Updated
Sometimes, the error may pop up in the TurboTax program while using an outdated driver. The below-described steps will help you to ensure that your drivers are updated:
- Initially, get the currently launched version of the drivers downloaded through the official website of the printer manufacturer.
- Thereafter, locate the “My Computer” icon and right-click on it.
Once done, you need to click on Manage the proceed further by selecting Device Manager.
- Next, have a look at the various hardware component listings.
- Locate the driver that needs to get updated and select it.
- Right-click on the driver and select the Update driver option from the drop-down list.
- Wait for the update process to complete, and then restart your PC.
- Verify if the TurboTax error 190 is resolved or not. If the answer is negative, try out the next method.
Solution 7: Update Your Antivirus Program
It is crucial to update your antivirus application regularly, as it keeps the security threats and detrimental effects of the virus and malware away. It can also resolve multi-faceted issues, such as TurboTax error 190. If not, update your antivirus application and scan your system files regularly. It helps you determine the issues that can lead to a problem in your TurboTax software so that you can reap its benefits with the utmost peace of mind.
Solution 8: Try Installing A Fresh Copy of the Windows Operating System
Installing a new copy of the Windows OS can also be an effective solution in resolving the error code 190 in TurboTax. You can use this solution when no solution works as the last fix. Installing a fresh copy of Windows removes all the old data stored on the computer, including the junk files piled up on your computer lately.
To Summarize The Above!
With the help of this post, you can easily get rid of Error 190 on TurboTax and can file taxes on time without any technical glitches.. However, you can Call our TurboTax Support phone Number if you are still struggling to troubleshoot the problem even after implementing all the solutions mentioned above. Getting professional help can save you in such an adverse situation. Supported by its experienced TurboTax professionals, Go Taxation can help you in your hours of need. Just report your issue and get the best solution for a given situation.
You may also read: How To Fix Or Resolve TurboTax Error 42015?
Frequently Asked Questions
TurboTax is leading-edge accounting software that is up to date with the latest tax laws and uses sophisticated technologies. It ensures 100% accurate tax calculations after running thousands of error checks, which prevents you from paying IRS or state penalties or interests. Furthermore, it offers robust security to keep the users’ data secure. Moreover, you can get your taxes done right even on the go using its mobile application. The multi-faceted advantages of the TurboTax program are that it can handle your taxes efficiently and keep regulatory issues at bay.
TurboTax files typically have. TAX extension followed by the year. You may locate these files from any of the below-listed locations:
Windows XP >> C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\My Documents
Windows Vista >> C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents
Windows 7 and newer >> C:\Users\[User Name]\My Documents
When required, you can open the file from the above-given locations.
Error 190 in TurboTax is just one error that can occur when using the program. However, being software, there are multi-faceted issues that users may encounter when using the program. These issues not only affect your workflow but may also cause penalties. To run the program error-free, you can contact our TurboTax experts. They will guide you with the error resolution, saving you crucial time and effort. Besides, if you have any queries related to the program’s function or error codes, just let us know using our chat and email options, and Go Taxation will help you with the best possible solutions.
Prevention is better than cure; therefore, better to keep your machine and program in optimal shape to avoid infuriating technical errors. Check that you have a stable Internet connection. If not, connect to a strong network. Also, you need to confirm that TurboTax is updated to the latest release. Furthermore, you need to examine the version of your software to get the compatibility issues. Clean your cookies and cache regularly to ensure the smooth performance of the program. At last, update the device you are using for the latest version of the TurboTax program.