TurboTax is top-rated accounting software that helps millions of taxpayers in filing their State and Federal taxes while eliminating the need for paperwork. However, being software, it is not devoid of technical glitches. One such error in TurboTax is error code 190, which takes place when a user tries to open the company file. When the error crops up, you may not be able to proceed a step further with an ongoing task. However, this error can be resolved by applying a few simple solutions that are described in this post. Let’s explore!
About The Software
TurboTax is a tax return preparation software for the United States and Canadian users, devised by Intuit. It offers a user-friendly interface for processing and electronic filing of tax returns for businesses and individual intrapreneurs. Its AbsolyteZero program lets users access the program for free, provided the given terms and conditions are fulfilled. Users can update the software annually for the relevant tax revisions to ensure that they are using the latest tax rates. Users with complex tax situations can navigate through the forms and deductions to get their tax calculations right. It is not the cheapest option available for business owners but offers a great value for the money.
What is Error 190 on TurboTax?
Before hopping into the troubleshooting procedure section, it is important to know about the TurboTax error code 190. It is a commonly occurring error code in the program that occurs when opening a company file or when filing the tax. Malicious viruses or malware infections are one of the main reasons behind this error. Multiple other factors can promote error 190 in TurboTax. When this TurboTax error takes place, it reflects an error message on your screen:
Now that you know what is error 190 on TurboTax, you need to resolve it immediately in order to get back to your routine tasks. For this, you need to know the possible reasons behind the error code 190.
What Causes The TurboTax Error Code 190 To Take Place?
TurboTax error 190 can take place due to a myriad of the reasons, as stated in the below-given list:
- The error mainly occurs when a user tries to open the company file.
- A detrimental virus or malware attack can also give rise to the TurboTax error code 190.
- Incorrect graphics drivers are one of the prominent reasons behind the error.
- The TurboTax program is running on a system that is not compatible with the program.
After knowing the possible reasons behind the error, you can take the right course of action for the error resolution.
What Signs Does The Error 190 Give In TurboTax Program?
When the error occurs, you may experience the following symptoms on your screen:
- The error throws a warning message on your screen that includes the error code 190.
- The TurboTax window you are trying to process crashes.
- Lethargic performance of the PC on the arrival of the error.
- You may not be able to introduce the product on your framework.
- Framework freezes every now and then.
- Sometimes, the error can delete a portion of your TurboTax documents from your Turbotax framework and make new ones.
When these signs show up, it is high time to dig out the possible reasons behind TurboTax error 190 and fix them using the relevant steps.
How do I fix Error 190 on TurboTax?
To resolve the error, you need to suppress the causes that are promoting the error code 190 in TurboTax. Check below:
Solution 1: Re-Launch The TurboTax Software
When you are facing an error in the TurboTax application when opening it, try relaunching the program and check if it resolves the error. Below are the steps:
- To start the procedure, you need to click the Start a New Return button.
- Thereon, select the Taxes tab of the report to proceed further.
- Now save the reports by downloading them on your device.
- Thereafter, shut down your TurboTax program before you proceed any further.
- Now relaunch your TurboTax software.
- Finally, try to open the file to check if you can open it without getting an error.
If the error continues when opening the file, and you are not sure how I fix error 190 on TurboTax, move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Perform Disk Cleanup
Running a disk cleanup will free up some space on your hard drive and also contribute to the error resolution. Follow the below-listed steps:
Note: Create a back of your data file to clean some space in your hard drive until the error is resolved.
- Clear the cache and start your computer.
- After restarting the computer, perform a Disk Cleanup, and it will clean the space on the computer used in opening the company file.
- To do so, make a right-click on the disk in the first place.
- Now select Properties from the drop-down list that opens the next.
- You will now see a different Window on your computer.
- Here, select the Disk Cleanup option. Wait for a few seconds until the procedure completes.
Solution 3: Close The Programs Interfering With the Process
Sometimes, the programs running in the background may interfere with an ongoing task. To fix this, you need to terminate all such programs that are hindering an ongoing TurboTax task and promoting error 190. Below are the steps:
- Press CTRL + Alt + Del keys simultaneously on your screen, and it will open the Task Manager.
- Now from under the Processes tab, stop running projects individually one after the other by pressing the End Task or its alternatives.
Solution 4: Download The State Forms
TurboTax error 190 depicts that you are trying to open a .tax2018 file that has one or more tax returns. Yet, your TurboTax version does not have the essential state module installed. If this is the case, you need to start a mock return to download and install the required state module. You may not be able to open any tax return in it until you have installed the state modules for the correct states that are included in the .tax2018 file.
Solution 5: Perform A Reinstall Procedure of The TurboTax
If none of the solutions listed-above help in the error resolution, reinstall TurboTax software by following the below-given steps:
- First thing first, click on the Start New Return option you may locate on the system.
- Next, click on the Taxes tab when your report prompts you to do so.
- Thereafter, you need to download the reports.
- After the completion of the download procedure, close the TurboTax application.
- Now reopen the TurboTax application and then open the file that was giving an error earlier.
If the error still exists, move down and try the next solution.
Solution 6: Make Sure That The Drivers Are Updated
Sometimes, it can be an outdated driver that promotes error in the TurboTax program. The below-described steps will help you to ensure that your drivers are updated:
- From the official website of the printer manufacturer, download the most recent version of the driver.
- Thereafter, locate the “My Computer” icon and right-click on it.
- Once done, you need to click on Manage the proceed further by selecting Device Manager.
- Next, have a look at the various hardware component listings.
- Locate the driver that needs to get updated and select it.
- Right-click on driver and select the Update driver option from the drop-down list.
- Wait for the update process to complete, and then restart your PC.
Verify if the TurboTax error 190 is resolved or not. If the answer is negative, try out the next method.
Solution 7: Update Your Antivirus Program
It is crucial to update your antivirus application regularly, as it keeps the security threats and detrimental effects of the virus and malware at bay. It can also resolve multi-faceted issues, such as TurboTax error 190. If not, update your antivirus application and scan your system files on a regular basis. It helps you determine the resolve the issues that can lead to a problem in your TurboTax software so that you can reap its benefits with the utmost peace of mind.
Solution 8: Try Installing A Fresh Copy of the Windows Operating System
Installing a new copy of the Windows OS can also be an effective solution in overriding the error code 190 in TurboTax. When no solution works, you can use this solution as the last fix. Installing a fresh copy of Windows removes all the old data stored on the computer, including the junk files that have piled up on your computer lately.
To Summarize The Above!
This post can help you with your quest on “How do I fix Error 190 on TurboTax?” However, if you are still struggling to troubleshoot the problem but none of the solutions work, getting professional help can save you in such an adverse situation. Supported by its experienced TurboTax professionals, Go Taxation can help you in your hours of need. Just report your issue and get the best solution for a given situation.
TurboTax Error Code 190 FAQs
1. What are the benefits of using the TurboTax application?
TurboTax is leading-edge accounting software that is up to date with the latest tax laws and uses sophisticated technologies. It ensures 100% accurate tax calculations after running thousands of error checks, which prevents you from paying IRS or state penalties or interests. Furthermore, it offers robust security to keep the users’ data secure. Moreover, you can get your taxes done right even on the go using its mobile application. The multi-faceted advantages of the TurboTax program can handle your taxes efficiently and keep the regulatory issues at bay.
2. What is the TurboTax file type?
TurboTax files typically have. TAX extension followed by the year. You may locate these files from any of the below-listed locations:
- Windows XP >> C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\My Documents
- Windows Vista >> C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents
- Windows 7 and newer >> C:\Users\[User Name]\My Documents
When required, you can open the file from the above-given locations.
3. How to contact a reliable service to get help with TurboTax error 190?
Error 190 in TurboTax is just one error that can take place when using the program. However, being software, there are multi-faceted issues that users may encounter when using the program. These issues not only affect your workflow but may also cause penalties. To run the program error-free, you can reach out to our TurboTax experts. They will guide you with the error resolution, thereby saving your crucial time and efforts. Besides, if you have any queries related to the program’s function or error codes, just let us know using our chat and email options, and Go Taxation will help you with the best possible solutions.
4. How to keep TurboTax error 190 at bay?
Prevention is better than cure; therefore, better to keep your machine and program in an optimal shape to avoid infuriating technical errors. Check that you have a stable Internet connection. If not, connect to a strong network. Also, you need to confirm that TurboTax is updated to the latest release available. Furthermore, you need to examine the version of your software to get the compatibility issues. Clean your cookies and cache regularly to ensure the smooth performance of the program. At last, update the device as well you are using for the latest version of the TurboTax program.
You may also read: How To Fix Or Resolve TurboTax Error 42015?