QuickBooks error 12031 arises when the user tries to refresh the QuickBooks software or payroll services. This error commonly occurs when the firewall & security software blocks the connection due to the incorrect configuration. This frustrating error can create a hassle for the users while working on the QuickBooks software.
Users will be able to notice the QuickBooks error 12031 with a pop-up display message as;
“Error 12031: A network timeout that is disabling the QuickBooks software from accessing the server.”
“Get immediate help in eliminating QuickBooks error 12031 by connecting live with our trained QuickBooks experts via call at +1-844-508-2335.”
Read Also- Fix QuickBooks Error 6150, -1006
Factors Causing QuickBooks Error Code 12031
Below, we have filtered out some of the most common reasons and factors due to why a user may encounter QuickBooks error 12031 while working on the software;
- Poor or weak internet connection.
- If you have not set Internet Explorer as the default web browser on your device.
- Incorrect SSL settings on your device can also lead to QuickBooks error 12031.
- If the server takes too long to respond to the user’s command.
Read more- Fix QuickBooks Error Code 1722
Solutions to Eliminate QuickBooks Error 12031
Let’s take a look at the solutions that you can easily carry out to tackle QuickBooks error 12031 while working on the software;
Solution 1. Configure Internet Explorer Settings
Here are the steps that you can follow to configure/ verify the internet explorer settings on your device;
- Launch the Internet Explorer browser on your device, and move towards the Internet options available in the tools menu.
- Thereon, select the “Security” tab and choose the “Globe” icon.
- Afterward, you must ensure the content advisor displays it on your screen.
- Click on the “OK” option, and then provide the password, and turn off the content advisor.
- Go for the connections tab, and if you are not using the dial-up node on your device, select the “Never dial a connection only” option.
- Click on the “OK” tab and select the “LAN Settings” option.
- You must ensure the automatic detect settings have been enabled and the “Use a Proxy Server” checkbox is disabled.
- Thereon, record the complete address and port, and if the port is “Port 80”, then uncheck the “Use a Proxy Only” option, and click on the “OK” option.
- Once you are done with the above steps, move toward the advanced tab settings and select the “Restore Advanced Settings” option.
- Moving ahead, you must locate the “Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1 & Use TLS 1.2” option.
- Here, ensure that the “Use TLS 1.0” is checked and “Use TLS 1.1” & “Use TLS 1.2” are unmarked.
- Followed by the above steps, you have to click on the “OK” option and shut down all the opened windows.
- Thereon, perform a restart of your device, and launch the QuickBooks desktop application on your workstation.
Once you are done with the above-listed steps, then verify if the QuickBooks error code 12031 has been eliminated or not.
Solution 2. Use QuickBooks Updates via Windows Safe Mode
- Launch the windows run command, and type “MSConfig” in the search bar.
- Hit the “OK” option, and then the Windows System Configuration settings will open on your device.
- Here, you have to navigate to the “Boot” tab, and then you have to uncheck the “Safe Boot” option, which is available under the Boot options.
- Save the new changes by clicking the “Apply” and “OK” options.
- Thereon, perform a deep restart of your device, and now your device will boot in safe mode.
- Once you have launched your device in safe mode, try to update the QuickBooks payroll feature.
If you are still facing the QuickBooks error 12031 while working on the software, perform the third solution.
Solution 3. Install Digital Signature Certificate
Installing the digital signature certificate will verify that the system can trust the QuickBooks updating process. To install the digital signature certificate, here are the steps that you can follow to do so;
- Firstly, navigate to the location where QuickBooks files are saved, i.e., C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks.
- Thereon, you have to search there for the QBW32.exe folder and then do a right click on it.
- After that, click on the “Properties” option and move toward the “Digital Signature” tab.
- Now, you must verify that Intuit is specified in the signature list and then click on the “Details” option.
- Once you move toward the digital signature details window, you must click on the “View Certificate” option.
- Switch to the Certificate window, then choose the “Install Certificate” option.
- Moving ahead, you must keep clicking on the “Next” option until the “Finish” option appears.
- Thereon, click on the “Finish” option, and perform a deep restart of your device.
After performing the above-listed steps, launch the QuickBooks desktop application on your workstation, and try to download the new payroll updates.
Solution 4. Verify the Advanced Settings in Internet Properties
- First, you must launch the “Internet Connection Setup” settings on your device.
- Thereon, click on the “Internet Properties” option, and then click on the “Advanced” tab option.
- Here, you must ensure that the advanced settings match and are correct.
- Next, click on the “Apply” > “Save” option.
Once you are done with the above steps, then close the QuickBooks desktop application, and try to download the new payroll updates on your workstation.
That’s all with what you need to know about QuickBooks error 12031. As demonstrated above, you can perform the above-listed solutions to resolve the error. As always, if you still have immediate help from experts in dealing with any of the issues in QuickBooks, you can contact us via mail at email@example.com. Our GoTaxation experts team are available 24*7 to understand your query and provide the best solution to terminate the issue.