What if, when you’re seamlessly working on your QuickBooks accounting application and some technical bugs or errors interrupt you? Distressing, right? The same problem occurs with QuickBooks Error 15240 when users fail to update their QuickBooks desktop or payroll software. When users encounter the error, they get an error message reading, “QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the QuickBooks updated did not complete successfully” or “QuickBooks error 15240: HRESULT XXXXX the payroll update did not complete successfully.” Are you facing this issue too? If yes, continue reading this blog and find out the solutions.
Tired of facing desktop and payroll update issues in your QuickBooks? Let our certified QuickBooks experts help you professionally. Contact our team at +1-844-508-2335 and continue to work worry-freely.
What Signs Users May Notice With QuickBooks Update Error 15240?
While users are dealing with the QuickBooks update error 15240, they probably notice the following signs:
- The foremost sign of noticing the error is the error message itself.
- As discussed above, users fail to download the latest updates of their QuickBooks Desktop or payroll application.
- The sluggish or dull performance of your Windows is another sign of the update error 15240 in your QuickBooks application.
- You won’t be able to work smoothly anymore on the payroll.
- With the error present, your mouse and keyboard won’t respond properly.
- Another sign of noticing this update error code 15240 is the frequent crash and freeze of your computer while opening it.
QuickBooks Desktop Update Error 15240: Why Does It Occur?
The following factors can be considered as the primary causes of the QuickBooks desktop update error 15240.
- Poor installation setup or incomplete installation of the QuickBooks application can trigger update errors.
- In case your Windows is facing registry issues, it may come across the QuickBooks error code 15240.
- You may receive the QuickBooks update error message 15240 when your computer system is set with incorrect date and time settings.
- The incorrect Internet Explorer settings and configuration is another reason for the update error.
- Make sure that you’re working with an updated QuickBooks Desktop version; else, you may meet problems while updating your application.
- In case your last QuickBooks update has been done incorrectly or incompletely, it may bring issues in your further updates.
- The accidental deletion of QuickBooks files which are essential while downloading the updates, can also be a reason for the update error.
- You may face errors while downloading the QuickBooks and payroll updates if the download link is incorrect, invalid, or wrong.
- An unstable or weak internet connection can prominently prevent you from successfully updating your QuickBooks Desktop or payroll application.
Points to Remember Before Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error 15240
Before you start troubleshooting the QuickBooks update error 15240, we suggest you take a look at the following considerations. With this, the troubleshooting procedure will become easier to perform.
- Your computer must display the correct date and time at the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Sign in with your user account having admin credentials to download the QuickBooks desktop and payroll updates successfully.
- You must have installed the latest version of your Windows and QuickBooks desktop application on your system.
- It’s recommended to disable the installed Firewall or Antivirus application on your system while downloading the payroll updates.
Troubleshooting Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15240
Carefully walk through this section to find out the most effective and easiest troubleshooting methods to resolve QuickBooks update error 15240.
Troubleshooting Approach 1 – Allow QuickBooks Installation Folder with Required Permission Access
When the software installation folder lacks required permission access, you may fail to download the QuickBooks desktop and payroll updates.
- First of all, close the QuickBooks application and continue to navigate to the Windows File Manager to open.
- After this, go to the C:\Program Files\ folder, and here, you need to right-click the Intuit folder.
- Now, click the Properties option and select the Advanced tab, then verify whether the User Group is set as Owner.
- In this step, click the Advanced Security Settings option. Here, you need to click the Change alternative, which is available at the left of the Owners section.
- Go to the Enter the object name to select an option and continue typing the Users name. After this, hit the Check Names tab and click the OK button.
- Continue to the step and tick the Replace owner on sub containers and objects box, then hit the Apply and OK buttons.
- After this, navigate to the Permissions section, select the Users option, and choose the Full Control option.
- End the entire procedure by clicking the Apply and OK buttons, respectively, to save all the changes.
If the error is still troubling you while downloading the updates, give permission access to the following folders:
- C : \Users\ Your User Name\ AppData\ Local\ Intuit
- C :\ ProgramData\ Intuit
- C :\Program Files \Common Files\ Intuit
- 64-bit users C :\ Program Files (x86)\ Common Files \Intuit
Read also- QuickBooks Tool Hub Download
Troubleshooting Approach 2 – Check and Correct the Internet Explorer Configuration
In case the above method hasn’t figured out the issue of QuickBooks Desktop update error 15240, try to check the internet explorer settings. If the configuration is incorrect, follow these steps:
- Begin this procedure by first opening your Internet Explorer and navigating to the Gear icon.
- Now, you need to select the Internet options tab and move to the advanced tab. Under this tab, checkmark the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0.
- After checking these boxes, click the Apply button and continue to hit the OK button. Check the error status, and if it still exists, continue to perform the next method.
Troubleshooting Approach 3 – Use QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to Perform QuickBooks Clean Installation
The tool is effective enough to troubleshoot common errors, including the QuickBooks Desktop update error 15240. So, let’s use the tool and perform the clean installation of the QuickBooks software.
- First, you need to navigate to your Windows Start menu and click on the Control Panel tab.
- Under the Control Panel tab, select the Uninstall a program alternative and further click the QuickBooks application to select the Uninstall/changes the application option.
- After this, you are required to choose the uninstall option and continue to follow the on-screen instructions to remove the QuickBooks application from your computer system.
- In this step, download and install the QuickBooks clean install tool by navigating the official Intuit website.
- Once you have installed the tool, accept the required terms and conditions by clicking the I accept to begin running the tool.
- Here, pick the correct QuickBooks application version, click the Continue button, and hit the OK button.
- Now, reinstall the QuickBooks application by clicking the Install QuickBooks option.
Troubleshooting Approach 4 – Fix the Incorrect Date and Time Settings Issues
As noted earlier, the incorrect date and time settings may not allow you to download the latest QuickBooks Desktop and payroll updates leading to the QuickBooks update error 15240. So, change the settings by the following method:
- First, you need to tap the time display on your computer screen and continue to hit the Change date and time settings alternative.
- In the second step, you have to correct the date and time by applying a few changes in the settings.
- Click the Apply button and select the OK tab to end the procedure successfully.
Still, can’t we eliminate the error? Let’s try running QuickBooks with administrator rights.
Troubleshooting Approach 5 – Start Running your QuickBooks Application With Admin Rights ;
It’s quite possible to meet the error while updating your QuickBooks Desktop or payroll if you are not logged in with a user account having admin rights. If the case is the same with you, go with the steps given below:
- First of all, click the QuickBooks application icon and continue to open it.
- Here, you are required to select the option saying Run as Administrator.
- In the next step, open the specific Properties and verify the compatibility for all the user accounts of QuickBooks.
In a Nutshell..!
So, now we hope these solutions have helped you in solving the stubborn QuickBooks error 15240. However, if it’s not so, the error must be associated with other glitches. Let our QuickBooks Enterprise Support Number help you find the root cause and solve the error. You can call our professionals at +1-844-508-2335 or get in touch with us via Live Chat Support.